This super simple avocado toast is a stunner with a poached egg on top. Garnished with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, everything bagel seasoning, and red pepper flakes for an added kick.
Decided to get on the avocado toast band wagon with this beauty. Made it extra pretty with an added poached egg so that whenever you decide to enjoy this recipe you’ll feel nice and full.
Don’t let the picture intimidate you though. If you’re like me poached eggs have always intimidated you. I’d only ever order them at brunch because I got it in my head that there was no way I’d be able to master it. It was for fancy cooks, not a home-cook like me.
BUT I’m here to tell you that that poached egg pictured above was done in ONE TRY. If I can do it, so can you! Just continue on below for a more detailed how-to.
Ingredients in this Poached Egg Avocado Toast
Toast – I used Dave’s Killer whole grain bread. I typically stay away from breads in general, but every now and then I can’t resist. And with this one I don’t feel as bad about eating.
Avocado – choose a ripe one for extra easy mashing.
An Egg – the fresher the better!
Vinegar – I used apple cider vinegar.
Everything Bagel Seasoning – can be found a lot of places now, but I get mine from Trader Joe’s.
Red Pepper Flakes
Poached Egg How-to
Okay, don’t panic! Poached eggs are easy if you follow these steps and guidelines👇🏽
- Make sure the egg you are using is as fresh as possible. This helps prevent white wispy-like floaty’s in the water.
- Use a larger pot, so the egg has more depth and doesn’t fall to the bottom and break.
- Prepare the egg by cracking it into a small bowl. It will make it easier when it comes time to dropping it into the water.
- Boil the water to JUST before boiling. That means before the bubbles start to break to the surface. If it’s too hot it will cook too fast and you won’t get that picture perfect runny egg.
- Use a tablespoon of light vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar). It won’t make your eggs taste like vinegar, but it WILL help solidify the egg in the water.
- Create a whirl pool swirl in your boiling water like so:
7) Carefully drop your egg into the center of the whirl pool and set your timer for 3-4 minutes. Scoop out with a large, slotted, spoon and BAM you have yourself a poached egg!
Poached Egg Avocado Toast
- 1 slice whole grain toast
- 1 whole avocado, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. everything bagel seasoning
- 1 tbsp vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Using a large pot, bring water to boil. Lowering the temp so the bubbles never actually start to surface. You don't want it too hot.
- While your water is boiling, toast your bread of choice and mash up your avocado. Spread the avocado mash generously onto your toast. Set aside.
- Prepare your egg by cracking it into a small bowl, careful not to break the yolk. This will make it easier to dump into the water later on.
- Add your vinegar and create a whirl pool in your boiling pot (see above video for a more detailed explanation). Carefully drop your egg into the center of the whirl. Set a timer for 3-4 minutes and use a large slotted spoon to retrieve from the water when timer is done. Immediately place on your prepared toast.
- Garnish with feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and everything bagel seasoning. Enjoy!
There may be Affiliate links in this post. By purchasing a product that I recommend, I may receive a small portion. However, I only ever recommend products that I have tried and love myself.
Have FOMO? Subscribe below for recipes delivered straight to your inbox. And never miss out again 💛