It’s fall ya’ll and we’re celebrating with this sweet and savory Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili! Everyone knows that fall is all about that warm comfort food and this right here is it.
My white girl self is rejoicing because fall is finally here! My closet thats pretty much fall-themed all year long now won’t seem so out of place, and my soup loving self can slurp to its hearts content. Also, pumpkin 💁🏼
But really, as the weather gets colder and the leaves start to change so does my appetite. It’s like a switch goes off internally as soon as the temperature drops below 70 degrees and -BAM- I no longer want salads and light dishes, but deliciously warm comfort food.
The problem with comfort food though is that its not so comforting on the gut, if ya know what I mean. So with that in mind, Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili was born!
Why Make Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili?
When I first told people I was attempting to create a Sweet Potato Chili recipe people weren’t so convinced. I got a lot of -but aren’t sweet potatoes, ya know, sweet? And chili’s, like, not sweet. And they are right, of course, but that’s what makes this dish SO GOOD.
It combines everyones favorite things in one dish and oh man is it good. It’s like biting into warm fall in a bowl. But, the best thing about this dish is the ingredients are simple and with using ground turkey and leaving out beans, its pretty guilt free.
Basic Ingredients in Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili
Ground Turkey – you could 100% sub this out for ground chicken or ground beef. Up to you, but it will change the nutritional value calculated below.
Green Bell Peppers
Canned Diced Tomatoes – with green chilis & onion
How to Make Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili
Mince your garlic and in a large skillet with a splash of olive oil, brown your garlic until its fragrant. Add your ground turkey and brown your meat until it’s no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
When your ground turkey is cooked, drain the grease from the pan and add the meat to your crock pot. Add your canned diced tomatoes, liquid included. Add your tomato paste. Stir until well combined. Turn your crockpot to high (if cooking for 3 hours) or low (if letting it cook for 6).
Season the meat mixture with your chili powder, paprika, ground cumin, and garlic powder. Stir and cover.
While your meat is simmering, dice and peel your sweet potatoes and turnip. Add to your meat mixture in the crockpot. Then dice up your onion and green pepper, adding to your chili mixture. Top with a large bay leaf and let cook for the remaining amount of time, stirring every now and then and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
If you have an Instagram and make this dish, don’t forget to tag @yumfullydelicous and use the hashtag #yumfullydelicious so I can see it and feature you! 😘
Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & diced in bite sized pieces
- 1 half large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled & diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28oz canned diced tomatoes – I used ones with green chilis and onion
- 1 6oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt & pepper, to taste
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown your garlic until fragrant. Add your ground turkey to your garlic and cook until no longer pink, draining the fat. Add your ground turkey mixture to your crockpot.
- Dump your canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste into your crockpot, stirring until well combined. Season your meat mixture with your chili powder, paprika, cumin, and garlic.
- Add your prepared sweet potatoes and turnip. Stirring until well combined. Add your onion and green pepper, stirring until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your chili with a bay leaf and cook for 3 hours on high, or 6 hours on low. Stir occasionally. Serve warm with suggested toppings!
There may be Affiliate links in this post. By purchasing a product I recommend, I could receive a small portion. However, I only recommend products that I’ve personally used and love. Thank you so much for your support!
Have FOMO? Subscribe below for recipes delivered straight to your inbox! And never miss out again 💛